Saturday, January 10, 2009

A major component of what brought me to Paris is music, so waking to a Schubert Impromptu on Radio Classique 101.1 boded well. I strolled along most all of the Boulevard St-Germain today, with the stroll interrupted for a nice lunch of roast chicken, then a stop at the grand and ancient Eglise (church) Saint Severn, where a choir of young voices was echoing through the sanctuary. How lovely. After many miles of walking (it is still very cold but I am staying fairly fit) I found my way to the Eglise St-Julien-le-Pauvre (said to be the oldest church in Paris) for a chamber music concert which promised much but delivered little. I suppose I should know by now that any concert highlighting the Pachabel Canon is going to be less than challenging, but I missed the nuance and sat through what amounted to a Reader’s Digest compendium of everyone’s very favorite and very familiar classical tunes, from Bach’s Air on a G String to Barber’s Adagio for Strings. Thankfully I did not buy the three euro program explaining these gems and also thankfully it lasted only about an hour. After dinner at a Bollywood Themed Restaurant with Indian MTV all over the place (what on earth am I thinking about!) I am happy to be back in the cozy silence of my little spot on the Ile.

No comments:

Post a Comment